Seen on take-out menus far and wide– beef and broccoli. With a few simple ingredients that you probably have lying around you can create this take-out classic.
Beef & Broccoli
Yield: 4 servings Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb flank steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips (or pre-cut stir fry beef)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and 1 tablespoon cornstarch and water until smooth. Set aside
In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Add beef and toss.
In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat 1 tablespoon oil and add garlic, cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add beef and stir-fry until beef reaches desired doneness; remove and keep warm.
Add the onion into remaining oil for and cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the broccoli and continue to stir-fry for 4-5 more minutes.
Return beef to pan and pour the soy sauce mixture over. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Serve over rice.
Tips for Cooking: Make sure your using a non-stick cooking device. There is nothing worse than trying to peel your precious beef off the bottom of the pan. After the beef sticks its all downhill from there. Burnt garlic, clumpy sauce.. overall sadness.